Tuesday, May 28, 2013

My First hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) Shots

Starting with Monday being as day 1 (the day I get the testosterone shot), my treatment plan calls for hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) shots on days 5 and 7. My hCG was already mixes up, courtesy of my first visit to the clinic.

While the testosterone solution can be kept at room temperature, the hCG has to be kept refrigerated. The test injection was done with a 1.5 inch 25g needle; the hCG would use a 29g 1/2 inch insulin needles (provided along with the prescription).

I confess to a bit of nervousness the first time. I'd done some reading, and injecting with a 29 gauge was supposed to be pretty much undetectable. Heck, diabetics injected insulin multiple times a day with the same thing. Only one way to do it though, and that was to do it.

I got my syringe (fixed needles 29g, as mentioned), the hCG vial from the fridge, and two alcohol wipes. I wiped the top of the syringe the way they showed me in the clinic - a good, vigorous wiping for about 5 seconds. I popped the cap on the syringe, and drew in air for 40u (the syringe has a 50u capacity, with 50u being .5ml).

Carefully, (and wearing my reading glasses - yes I need reading glasses) I inserted the syringe into the vial and injected the air. I think turn the vial over and began slowly drawing in the hCG liquid. The syringe filled easily, took maybe 10 seconds. I filled it just past the 40u mark, flicked it a few times, and then injected the excess back into the vial. I withdrew the needle and capped it again.

Out came the second alcohol swab. I picked a spot about 1 inch to the right of my navel and swabbed it well for about 10 seconds, uncapped the syringe....

And poked it right in.

Barely more than a slight pinch. I pressed the plunger, took about 10 seconds or so to get it all in, and pulled out the needle. My first successful self-injection! Yeah, I know it was an insulin pin and hCG, but still.

Overall, a much less traumatic experience than I expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment